Tree Kills Power Saw Man in Bassa

first_imgA man in his late 40s identified as Alexander Garpue Morgan of Daywrah Town in Hoegbarn Township, Glakon Statutory District #2 in Grand Bassa County was killed when a tree he was sawing with a friend, reportedly fell on him.Residents in the area told the Daily Observer last week that the incident occurred on Monday January 26.They said the deceased and a friend identified only as Phillip had gone to cut down a tree in Beyan Town when the incident took place.They explained further that when the tree was about to fall the friend called on Morgan to run to the other side, away from the direction of the falling tree. But sadly, Morgan rushed to the direction where the tree was falling.“Morgan stood still,” Phillip told residents who had rushed to the scene to help, “but it was too late when the tree crushed him to death.” Residents broke down in tears when they saw the body of Morgan under the tree.Other Power Saw men then worked frantically to lift the portion of the tree that had fallen on Morgan but he was already dead when they drew his body from under the tree, Phillip said.The Daily Observer learned that the deceased worked on a contract basis, felling trees for neighbors in the township.The remains of Morgan were laid to rest on Saturday, February 6, in BIA Community in St. John River City Corporation District #2.He leaves to mourn his widow, Makornee Morgan and other relatives and friends.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Cartoon: October 23, 2014

first_imgShare this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img

Tribunal “premature” – Jagdeo

first_imgOpposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has denounced the establishment of the tribunal that was established to look into whether Chairman and appointed member of the Public Service Commission (PSC), Carvil Duncan, should be removed from office.carville_duncanThe tribunal was appointed by President David Granger and sworn in on Thursday, with the task of inquiring, investigating and recommending whether the embattled PSC Chairman should be removed for his inability to discharge his duties.The establishment of this tribunal – which is being headed by Chairperson Justice Roxanne George, along with Justice Winston Patterson and Attorney Robert Ramcharran – was triggered by the institution of criminal charges against Duncan. These charges are still pending before a Magistrate at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.According to the Opposition Leader in a statement issued on Friday, the very Constitution that President Granger pledges to follow “in spirit and letter” confers upon Duncan a presumption of innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.“Since the charges against Mr Duncan are still pending, the establishment of this tribunal is premature, pre-emptive and repugnant to the very ‘due process’ to which the President says that his Administration is committed,” Jagdeo posited.He went on to point out that the establishment of the tribunal smacks of exactly the opposite – caprice, arbitrariness and witch-hunting.“It is public knowledge that Mr Duncan has been a stumbling block at the Public Service Commission, preventing this Administration from dismissing public servants on ethnic and political grounds and blocking the hiring of unqualified cronies,” he stated.The former Head of State went on to say that the establishment of this tribunal will have a prejudicial impact upon the pending legal proceedings as the President has sent a clear signal to the presiding Magistrate what outcome the Executive expects.“In these circumstances, we view the establishment of this tribunal as a travesty of justice and an assault upon constitutional due process and the fundamental rights of Carvil Duncan and the thousands of workers whose interests and welfare he protects,” the Opposition Leader noted.Duncan had been under pressure to step down from the constitutional body ever since he was charged and placed before the courts over an alleged theft of monies from the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) Inc.He was placed on $1 million bail in February after he had appeared in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts charged with larceny, to which he pleaded not guilty.Police alleged that on March 31, 2015, at Georgetown, he stole $984,900, property of GPL.It is alleged that he conspired with the utility’s then Deputy Chief Executive Officer Aeshwar Deonarine, to steal $984,900, and that he conspired with Deonarine to commit a felony; namely, he conspired to steal $27,757,500, property of the power company.Duncan had been written to by Government in March to show cause why the tribunal should not be established to determine his fate on the constitutional body – the PSC – but he never responded.Duncan sits as Chairman of the PSC; a member of the Police Service Commission and he is also a member of the Judicial Service Commission.He was informed that the actions taken were in view of the offences for which he has been charged.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeolast_img read more

Father of 1 killed by intoxicated Police Constable

first_imgMotorcycle driver Akemo Anthony Bristol of Lot 338 East Ruimveldt, Georgetown was struck down on Mandela Avenue on Saturday at about 23:40h, reportedly by an intoxicated Police Constable driving a silver grey minibus belonging to the Guyana Police Force (GPF).Rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) in an unconscious state, the 23-year-old father of one succumbed to his injuries while receiving medical attention.Akeem Anthony BristolBased on information received, the Police Constable and Bristol were both proceeding along Mandela Avenue when the collision occurred. The impact reportedly flung Bristol into a nearby gutter while his motorcycle ended up under the minibus. Extracted from the gutter with visible injuries about his body, he was rushed to the GPHC, where he subsequently died.At Bristol’s home on Sunday morning, his mother, Sharon Mitchell, told Guyana Times that she rushed to the scene after being informed of the accident. There, she saw only his mangled bike lying on the parapet, but she was told the youngman had been taken to the GPHC.At the GPHC, she recalled, she saw a Police rank with blood on his skin, but she was unaware that it was he who had been involved in the accident.“I went to the hospital and I saw this Indian guy with blood on his skin, and I ask him if he was the person that bring in my son, and somebody turned to me and said that he was the one that knock him too,” the distraught mother related.She detailed that on her way into the hospital, she was told by a woman that her son had already passed away, but she did not believe this.The tearful mother continued her explanation, “I didn’t believe, so I went to see if I could see the doctor, and I had to wait… Then she came, and there were two nurses cleaning up, and she told me that let them clean up first, because she didn’t want me to see the amount of blood that was around him…“When I was eventually allowed to go in, I saw my son lying there lifeless. I rubbing he head, I try opening he eyes, calling he name; no answer…,” the woman related.The woman revealed that she further broke down when she saw the driver who was responsible for her son’s demise.“When I see the bus, I start to lash it up…then when I check, I saw blood oozing out from the back of the bus where they had he lying (down),” she revealed.The late Akemo’s father, Percy Bristol, detailed that the Police rank involved in the accident had attempted to flee the scene. “Some people came and had to stop the vehicle, because the driver was trying to go away; and like the driver was saying that it’s just two beers he had, as if that was supposed to justify what he did. He was driving so fast that he didn’t even see my son; because there was no skidding, so he didn’t even pull brakes!” the man explained.The demise of the late Akemo Anthony Bristol has been described as a big blow to his family. He was described as having been a very humble person, whose humility had “separated him from the rest”. He leaves to mourn his son, parents, three siblings, and many relatives and friends.The implicated Constable has since been taken into Police custody, where he is said to be assisting with investigations. Guyana Times understands that this Police rank has failed the breathalyser test administered to him. In addition, it has been reported that the minibus was speeding at time of the accident.It is not clear whether Bristol had been wearing a helmet at time of the accident. (Kizzy Coleman)last_img read more

Haugans finish 1-2-3 in Cactus mountain bike race

first_imgChris won the race with a time of 29:36, winning by almost two minutes as Nicki finished her race in 31:22. Tate took the third spot in 32:01.Fourth place went to Gary Hilderman and he was followed by Matt Gilmore who clocked in at 33:53, good enough for fifth place. George Gamble finished in sixth spot at 34:25, Pat Ferris was seventh as he registered a time of 38:00, Roger St. Jean took eighth position as he finished his race in 39:18, Dan Webster crossed the line in ninth clocking in at 41:34, and finishing the top ten was Davide Loro.Tonight, the Blizzard Bike Club will have another running of the Baldonnel time trial at 7 p.m., that’s followed by a race on Sunday at Cecil Lake at 10 a.m.- Advertisement –last_img

Germany football stars slam Nazi chants

first_img0Shares0000“The chants were a catastrophe — really bad,” fumed Germany’s defender Mats Hummels, seen during the team’s FIFA World Cup 2018 qualification football match against Czech Republic September 1, 2017 © AFP/File / ROBERT MICHAELBERLIN, Germany, Sep 2 – Germany players have blasted a hardcore group of crowd members for shouting Nazi-era chants during a World Cup qualifier as the world champions hope to secure a finals berth on Monday.Germany have three qualifiers left but can wrap up their place at next year’s tournament in Russia by beating Norway in Stuttgart on Monday if nearest rivals Northern Ireland fail to beat the Czech Republic the same night in Belfast. However, the behaviour of a group of travelling fans in Friday’s 2-1 win against the Czechs in Prague has shocked Joachim Loew’s team.The chants were particularly embarrassing from a German perspective as they came on the anniversary of the invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany, which started World War II in 1939.Mats Hummels’ late header in Prague maintained Germany’s perfect record of seven wins from seven World Cup qualifiers.But the result was tainted by the repulsive chants, while German fans whistled during the minute’s silence before kick-off for two deceased Czech officials.Chants of “Sieg Heil” (Hail Victory) from a block of German fans during the game were heard by the horrified players on the pitch.Germany striker Timo Werner was also verbally abused by a 200-strong group of travelling supporters despite scoring the opening goal after four minutes.The 21-year-old RB Leipzig forward is unpopular after diving to win a penalty during a controversial Bundesliga match last season at Schalke.The Germany players refused to go to the away block after the final whistle, as is customary.“The chants were a catastrophe — really bad,” fumed Hummels. “That started during the minute’s silence, which showed the bad behaviour of some fans.– ‘Trouble-makers’ –“Timo Werner was insulted and ridiculed, that is when the fans started shouting…“We distance ourselves completely from it and want nothing to do with it.“That’s why we didn’t go (to the away fans).“These people aren’t fans, they are trouble-makers, hooligans who have nothing to do with football fans.“We have to get them out of stadiums.”Werner thinks the chants could have come from Dynamo Dresden supporters, arch rivals of his RB Leipzig club.Dresden, the heartland of Germany’s right-wing scene, is just 150 kilometres (93mi) from Prague.“You know what is nearby, so you can imagine where that comes from,” he said.The DFB president Reinhard Grindel was proud of the “fine sense” the team showed in making a stance and said that a group of German fans had managed to buy tickets without the DFB’s consent.The German Football Association (DFB) hope there will be no repeat of such poor behaviour from their own fans against Norway.“We will never tolerate fascist, racist, insulting or homophobic battle cries,” said Grindel.“Together – as a team, the fans and DFB – we have to face these trouble-makers.”Werner is looking forward to playing in his home city Stuttgart, where he started his career, even if he may face more jeers and insults during the match against Norway.“I’m looking forward to Stuttgart, even if I should face a few whistles there, I don’t care. I’ll just play my game,” he said.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Mourinho: Cuadrado was NOT a deadline day panic buy

first_imgChelsea manager Jose Mourinho insisted signing Juan Cuadrado on transfer deadline day was not a panic buy.The Columbian winger was acquired from Fiorentina for £27 million while Mohammed Salah went the other way on loan, although the 22-year-old revealed he does not expect to return to Stamford Bridge in the summer.Andre Schurrle was the other player to exit Chelsea on deadline day with a move to Wolfsburg and Mourinho claimed the German’s departure prompted a move for Cuadrado.“He is a player we’ve known for a long, long time,” said Mourinho. “I have played in his league for two seasons [managing Inter Milan], and he could control [games] week after week.“He is not a panic buy, [the signing] is a reaction to Schurrle.”The versatile winger could make his Chelsea debut against Aston Villa, but the Blues boss admitted he is unsure because of the time the deal took to be processed.“He’s trained just two days. The business was done almost last minute on Monday, and he had to fly Paris for visas. On the Tuesday he trained here, so I cannot say much.”Schurrle made way for the Colombian in a £24m move back to the Bundesliga that proved too good for the Blues to turn down.Mourinho added: “Schurrle is a player we like very, very much but the business was very good and we are happy.“We are happy with what he gave us. We are happy with the investment we made one and a half years ago and the profit we did in this transfer window.“Hopefully we made him a better player and he can have success in Wolfsburg.” 1 Juan Cuadrado last_img read more

Pochettino unfazed by Spurs’ quiet transfer window

first_img0Shares0000Mauricio Pochettino is unfazed by Tottenham’s lack of success in the transfer market © AFP / Ian KINGTONLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 9 – Mauricio Pochettino insists Tottenham’s lack of activity in the transfer window isn’t a problem because it was just as important to hold onto the club’s key players.With the Premier League transfer market closing at 1600 GMT, Tottenham are set to be the only top-flight side not to make a signing since the end of last season. Pochettino had been linked with several players and a fresh approach for Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish was rebuffed by the Championship club earlier this week.The Tottenham manager had challenged his club to be “brave and take risks” when asked what Tottenham needed to do to improve their squad.But, although the Argentinian on Thursday conceded the transfer window would probably close without a fresh face arriving, he was adamant it was still a good period for his team.The reason for his optimism? — England striker Harry Kane, Denmark playmaker Christian Eriksen, South Korea forward Son Heung-min and England defender Kieran Trippier have all signed new contracts since May.“We have a very good squad, with very good players and it is very difficult to add players to that,” Pochettino said.“We didn’t sell players and with 25 players in the squad it is difficult to add players.“It’s not about adding because it’s fashionable to sign players. It’s about if you really need them or not and then if you can get your target or not.“It’s true our targets are always the same level as Manchester United, Manchester City or Real Madrid but for different circumstances we can’t achieve that.“I am not worried, I am not sad, I am so happy. To keep our best players was our objective and goal and we have achieved that – at the moment, we will see what happens in the next 20 days in Europe.“If you can’t add a player that can improve your squad, the most important thing is to make sure you do not lose your best players and I think that was a great job from the club to keep the best players and the manager.”Some Tottenham fans fear their club’s lack of activity might force Pochettino to consider leaving, but the former Southampton boss is happy with the club’s vision.“Of course it’s difficult to understand for people in football that Tottenham didn’t sign or sell players, but sometimes in football you need to behave differently,” he said.“If we are happy with our squad and cannot improve our squad, sometimes it’s better to keep our squad together.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

ROSSES ATHLETIC CLUB NOTES

first_imgRosses ACThe first race of the cross country season will take place this Sunday 7th October in Castlefinn for Donegal even ages and Masters. There will be a bus leaving Annagry car park at 9:15 on Sunday morning. This will be followed by the Donegal Uneven ages and Novices in Killybegs on Sunday 14th October. All children must be registered with the club to run.Training on Wednesday and Friday nights from 6pm to 7pm – all welcome. Sportshall Athletics continues Mondays in Ionad Spóirt na Rosann gym at Rosses Community School gym in Dungloe from 6.45 to 7.45 pm. Fee is €10 for five Monday night sessions or €15 per family. Events include sprints, relays, standing long jump, speed bounce, ball throw, javelin and shot putt. Training continues on Wednesday and Friday from 6-7pm at Mullaghderg. Due to large numbers we do need help and parents to stay and help with supervision. Two euro per child.ROSSES ATHLETIC CLUB NOTES was last modified: October 2nd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Rosses Athletic Club noteslast_img read more

MARSHALS WANTED FOR ADVENTURE RACE ‘GALEFORCE NORTH’

first_imgNOTICE: Organisers of the hugely popular Gael-Force North event require Marshals for the adventure race. Join their crew for the day and soak up the atmosphere of this special event. The Gael-Force North Adventure Race takes place on the 25th of June 2016.Organisers are looking for marshals to assist us on the day and they will be paid for their efforts.For info contact info@gaelforceevents.com or call 095 42006MARSHALS WANTED FOR ADVENTURE RACE ‘GALEFORCE NORTH’ was last modified: May 24th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Adventure raceGael-Force North EventMarshalsSportlast_img read more