PREMIUMJakarta develops drop-off areas for online motorcycle taxis at four railway stations

first_imgFacebook Linkedin The Jakarta administration, in partnership with state-owned railway operator PT Kereta Api Indonesia (KAI), is developing pick-up and drop-off spaces for app-based ojek (motorcycle taxis) at four railway stations in Central Jakarta as part of its efforts to ease traffic congestion.The project, expected to be completed by the end of March, is being developed at Tanah Abang Station, Sudirman Station, Senen Station and Juanda Station — four busy Commuter Line stations whose land is owned by KAI.”We will redirect [online motorcycle taxis] inside the railway stations so that there is no traffic congestion outside,” KAI executive vice president of Jakarta operational region Dadan Rudiansyah told The Jakarta Post by phone on Thursday. “We want to facilitate railway passengers in moving to other modes of transportation.People living in Jakarta and its surrounding citi… Log in with your social account Forgot Password ? LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Google Topics : #commuter commuter Greater-Jakarta #Jakarta ojek-service #ridehailing ride-hailing-service online-ojeklast_img read more

Indonesian women’s premier soccer league Liga 1 Putri to kickoff in April: PSSI

first_imgTopics : “We want to promote women’s soccer [in Indonesia]; therefore, we hold this competition every year,” Iriawan said.The first season of Liga 1 Putri was held last year, with 10 teams participating in the competition: Arema FC of Malang, Bali United, PSM of Makassar, Persipura of Jayapura, Persebaya of Surabaya, Persib of Bandung, PSIS of Semarang, PSS Sleman, Persija Jakarta and PS Tira Persikabo of Bogor.Persib came out the winner of last year’s season. The last time Indonesia had a women’s league was in the 1990s, when the soccer association had Liga Utama Wanita (Women’s Premier League), also known as Galanita. There was no official replacement for Galanita until the 2019 revival, as PSSI only organized a few sporadic competitions for short-term purposes.Apart from the league, PSSI is also looking to hold the national Pertiwi Cup in 2020, targeting 20 teams to participate at the provincial and national level.The national women’s soccer team will participate in the 2020 ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Women’s Championship and several friendly matches with other countries. (gis) The latest season of Indonesian women’s premier soccer league Liga 1 Putri will commence in April at the latest, as stated by the Soccer Association of Indonesia’s (PSSI) chief.“We will hold competition in the next one or two months. We will discuss [ preparations] first,” PSSI chairman M. Iriawan said in Bogor, West Java, on Tuesday, as quoted by Antara.He added that the association expected the league to help improve women’s soccer in international competitions.last_img read more

Indonesia’s COVID-19 death toll soars to 78, with highest number of deaths in a day

first_imgOn Thursday, the Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention director general Achmad Yurianto announced 103 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of cases nationwide to 893. Jakarta still has the majority of cases with 515, an increase of 53 since Wednesday.Another region with a significant increase was South Sulawesi with 14 new cases, more than doubling its total number of cases to 27.“Four more people have recovered,” Yurianto said, adding that the total number of recovered COVID-19 patients in the country was 35.(mfp)Topics : The number of deaths caused by COVID-19 in Indonesia has soared to 78 as the Health Ministry announced 20 more deaths on Thursday, the country’s highest one-day death toll increase.Jakarta is the province with the highest number of deaths with 46, followed by West Java with 11, and Central Java with six. Indonesia’s death toll is the highest in Southeast Asia, followed by the Philippines with 45, and its mortality rate of 8.73 percent is among the highest in the world.last_img read more

South Korean economy shrinks 1.4% over coronavirus

first_imgGross domestic product shrank 1.4 percent year-on-year during the January to March period, the Bank of Korea said, its biggest decline since the fourth quarter of 2008 during the global financial crisis.Private consumption fell 6.4 percent – the sharpest fall in more than two decades – “as expenditures on goods and services both decrease”, the central bank said.The South is highly trade-dependent and it added that exports contracted by two percent due to decreases in automobiles, machinery and chemical products, while imports fell 4.1 percent.But officials warned of a bigger impact from the coronavirus pandemic in the coming months.”There are concerns that shocks to the real economy and employment may expand due to the global economic slump,” finance minister Hong Nam-ki told a meeting of other ministers.The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has forecast the world economy will contract three percent this year, as it is expected to “experience its worst recession since the Great Depression” over the pandemic.The IMF has predicted the South Korean economy will shrink 1.2 percent in 2020.Topics : South Korea’s economy saw its worst performance in more than a decade in the first quarter as the coronavirus epidemic raged across the country, the central bank said Thursday, with officials warning of a bigger impact still to come.The world’s 12th-largest economy endured one of the worst early outbreaks of the disease outside China, although it appears to have largely been contained thanks to an extensive “trace, test and treat” programme.The country introduced a widespread social-distancing campaign since in February, urging people to stay home, with scores of events – from K-pop concerts to sports matches – cancelled and museums and art galleries closed.last_img read more

Burgers, fries and coffee: New Zealanders rush for fast food as lockdown eases

first_imgNew Zealanders queued for burgers, fries and coffee takeaway on Tuesday after they were freed from a month-long lockdown, which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern credited with eliminating domestic transmission of the coronavirus.Around 400,000 people returned to work after Ardern shifted the country’s alert level down a notch, loosening some of the tough movement restrictions that shut down businesses for weeks.”It’s hard to explain how good this tastes,” Christopher Bishop, a lawmaker, said on Twitter after posting a picture with a take away coffee cup. Topics : “We can say with confidence that we do not have community transmission in New Zealand. The trick now is to maintain that,” Ardern told Radio New Zealand on Tuesday.There was growing debate among officials and academics about the terminology that should be used for New Zealand’s status in relation to the coronavirus spread, with some saying “elimination” would not allow for recurrent small numbers of cases. They point to the fact that the country reported five new cases and one death yesterday.”When I talk about elimination it does not mean zero cases, it means zero tolerance for cases,” Ardern said. “The idea of COVID being completely gone, that is eradication – so there are important differences there.”New Zealand is maintaining several social distancing policies despite the step down in the alert level with malls pubs, hairdressers and other public shopping areas to stay shut for at least another two weeks.Siouxsie Wiles, a microbiologist and associate professor at the University of Auckland, was among those warning the virus could return if lockdown measures were eased too quickly.”If we turn our backs for a minute, we’ll be on the path to a serious outbreak once again. And we’ve seen this happen overseas,” Wiles wrote in a column on the online news site The Spinoff.center_img Long queues of cars snaked up to McDonald’s Corp outlets in Auckland and Wellington from the early hours as people sought a fast food fix.”We got quarter pounders, Big Macs, drinks … I’ve still got two cheeseburgers left but I can’t finish them,” Tai Perez, who arrived at a McDonald’s outlet in Auckland at 4am, was quoted as saying by the New Zealand Herald.New Zealand’s 5 million residents were subjected to one of the strictest lockdowns in the world in response to the coronavirus pandemic, with Ardern shutting down much of the country from March 26.Ardern said those measures had paid off. New Zealand has reported just 1,122 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 19 deaths, one of the lowest tallies in the world.last_img read more

CEO buys ailing New Zealand media giant for one dollar

first_imgBoucher, who joined the Press as a reporter in 1993 and has spent most of her career at the company, said it was “a new era” for Stuff.”It is great to take control of our own future with the move to local ownership and the opportunity to build further on the trust of New Zealanders, who turn to us for local and national news and entertainment every day,” she told stuff.co.nz.The one-dollar price reflects the difficulties in New Zealand’s media sector, where COVID-19’s impact has slashed revenues already eroded by global internet giants such as Facebook and Google.Stuff’s main domestic rival, NZME, had its own one-dollar bid for the company rejected earlier this month. Stuff and NZME have both asked staff to take pay cuts due to the virus-induced downturn, with NZME cutting 200 jobs.German magazine giant Bauer Media Group closed its New Zealand titles with the loss of 237 jobs last month, citing the “severe economic impact” of the pandemic.Shares in Nine, which had been rumoured to be keen on offloading its New Zealand assets for more than a year, were up 2.9 percent at Aus$1.41 in early trading on the ASX.Nine obtained Stuff when it acquired the company’s Australian owner, newspaper group Fairfax Media in late 2018.Topics : Struggling New Zealand media giant Stuff Limited was sold in a management buy-out deal for the symbolic fee of NZ$1.00 (US$0.61), the group’s Australian owners Nine Entertainment announced Monday.Nine said that Stuff chief executive Sinead Boucher would take over the company, which operates New Zealand’s most popular news website, stuff.co.nz, and titles such as Wellington’s Dominion Post and the Christchurch Press.”The sale of Stuff is expected to (be) complete by May 31,” Nine said in a statement to the Australian stock exchange.last_img read more

Tremor at East Java’s Mount Ijen triggers isolated tsunami, killing one

first_imgA sulfur miner was killed when volcanic activity at Mount Ijen in East Java released poisonous gas and triggered a 3-meter wave in a natural lake situated within the volcano’s crater on Friday afternoon.The tremor occurred within the mountain at 12:30, resulting in toxic air and an isolated wave from the lake in the crater, kompas.com reported.The wave that was formed in the wake of the volcanic activity recorded on Friday qualified as a tsunami, according to Indonesian tsunami expert Widjo Kongko. He explained that several lakes, such as Lake Toba in North Sumatra and Lake Poso in Central Sulawesi, were formed following a series of volcanic events similar to the one that occurred on Mount Ijen.Widjo called on the East Java Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) to conduct research into volcanic activities in the region and formulate robust mitigation plans, such as setting up early warning systems, to prevent further losses and damage in the event of a seiche.“The development of a tourist destination around any lake must be done in accordance with disaster mitigation principles,” he said.Mount Ijen has been popular among tourists for its turquoise sulfur lake, as well as a natural phenomenon dubbed the ‘blue fire’.According to experts, the blue fire results from the crater’s sulfuric gas igniting as it emerges and comes into contact with the air, without producing smoke. (rfa)Topics : He said a tsunami typically occurred when activities at the bottom of an ocean, gulf or lake disturbed the column of water on the surface.“[A tsunami] may be triggered by an earthquake, landslide or volcanic activity. The phenomenon recorded in the lake within Mount Ijen’s crater is an example of a tsunami,” Widjo said on Monday.He went on to say that the wave that occurred on Friday was known among experts as a seiche.“Water oscillations or waves caused by tremors fall into the seiche category,” Widjo said.last_img read more

PG&E pleads guilty to 84 counts of involuntary manslaughter in California wildfire

first_imgSome fire victims are expected to receive payouts under PG&E’s bankruptcy reorganization plan.PG&E and its utility unit filed for bankruptcy in January 2019, citing more than $30 billion in potential liabilities from California wildfires in 2017 and 2018 linked to its equipment.The company previously reached $25.5 billion of settlements related to wildfires in 2015, 2017 and 2018, including $13.5 billion for victims and $12 billion for insurers, cities, counties and other public entities.Under the settlement with Newsom, PG&E agreed to pay no shareholder dividends for three years, saving about $4 billion, and pursue a “rate-neutral” $7.5 billion financing package that would benefit rate payers. “I am here today on behalf of the 23,000 men and women of PG&E, to accept responsibility for the fire here that took so many lives and changed these communities forever,” Johnson said in a written statement.The Camp Fire killed at least 84 people and destroyed some 18,000 buildings. It is considered the most destructive wildfire in California history.PG&E’s plea deal was reached in March, ending a major roadblock for the utility to emerging from Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It came after the utility accepted tighter oversight and pledged billions of dollars to improve safety and help wildfire victims under an agreement with California Governor Gavin Newsom.Under the agreement, PG&E would pay a maximum $3.5 million fine plus $500,000 in costs, and up to $15 million to provide water to residents after the fire destroyed the utility’s Miocene Canal. Topics :center_img Pacific Gas & Electric pleaded guilty on Tuesday to 84 counts of involuntary manslaughter stemming from a devastating 2018 wildfire in Northern California touched off by the utility company’s power lines.The guilty plea, part of an agreement with prosecutors in Butte County, is intended to end all criminal proceedings against PG&E from the Camp Fire, which broke out on Nov. 8, 2018, and destroyed much of the town of Paradise.Bill Johnson, the company’s chief executive officer, entered the plea during a hearing in Butte County Superior Court.last_img read more

Police thwart attempt to smuggle over 9,000 sea turtle eggs to West Kalimantan

first_imgThe West Kalimantan Police have successfully thwarted an attempt to smuggle 9,310 sea turtle eggs from Tambelan Island, Riau province, to Pontianak, West Kalimantan.West Kalimantan Water Police law enforcement head Comr. Husni Ramli said officers had named one suspect in the incident, a 40 year-old man identified only as BY.”The eggs were transported using the Sabuk Nusantara 80 ship, where the suspect worked as a crew member. We arrested the suspect and brought the eggs to the West Kalimantan Water Police office,” Husni said on Tuesday as reported by kompas.com. Topics : Husni said the smuggling attempt came to light after authorities received reports from locals on Tuesday morning.The reports said that there were 14 boxes of turtle eggs from Tambelan Island on Sabuk Nusantara 80.At 1 p.m. on Tuesday, officers from the West Kalimantan Water Police and the Pontianak Maritime and Fisheries Monitoring Task Force (PSDKP) raided the ship, which was docking at Dwikora Port in Pontianak.Husni said BY was charged under Article 21 of Law No. 5/1990 on conservation, which carries a maximum sentence of five years’ imprisonment.The article forbids the taking, damaging, destroying, trading and possessing of eggs or nests of protected animals.last_img read more

Prosecutors demand court deny fugitive Djoko Tjandra’s case review plea

first_imgThe fugitive of the high-profile Bank Bali corruption case, who reportedly is staying in Malaysia, had requested last week through his attorneys that the case review trial be held virtually, citing his health condition as the reason for his absence. He filed the case review petition against his conviction to the South Jakarta Court in early June after being wanted by authorities since his escape in 2009.One of the prosecutors, Ridwan Ismawanta, also asked the judges to reject the online hearing request. He said, citing Supreme Court circular No. 1/2012 on case review procedure, that teleconference hearings could only be held at district courts, prosecutors’ offices and detention centers and were only applicable to prisoners, defendants and witnesses.“The plaintiff’s request [for an online hearing] is disrespectful to the court and [what he did] is contempt of court,” he said.Read also: House deputy speaker reported for not allowing supervisory hearing for Djoko Tjandra’s case He added that Djoko’s absence was unacceptable as his team of lawyers did not present evidence of his health condition.Djoko’s lawyer Andi Putra Kusuma conveyed in last week’s hearing that his client had been ill and could not attend the hearings because he was undergoing medical treatment in Malaysia.The panel of judges did not clearly state whether the case review hearing would be continued or stopped, after adjourning it for around 1.5 hours on Monday afternoon.The team of prosecutors, Ridwan said, refused to sign the dossiers of the hearing, insisting that the defendant must be present for the case review trial.He said the prosecutors’ refusal had not dropped the case review petition yet as he suspected it could be forwarded to the Supreme Court.“The petition must be denied without the presence of the defendant,” he said as reported by tempo.co.Topics : Prosecutors at the South Jakarta District Court have demanded that the panel of judges drop the case review plea filed by notorious fugitive Djoko Soegiharto Tjandra as they also ask for judges to deny the graft convict’s request for a virtual hearing following his consecutive absence.“We demand the panel of judges reject the case review petition filed by Djoko Sugiarto Tjandra and declare the request cannot be accepted,” a team of prosecutors said in the broadcast hearing at the court on Monday.The panel of judges, presided over by judge Nazar Effriandi, held the hearing for the fourth time on Monday, which Djoko failed to attend again.last_img read more