The positive minded Education Minister, Nicolette Henry, on Saturday visited a few schools around Georgetown and on the East Coast of Demerara to assess their readiness for the new school year scheduled to begin on Monday, September 3.This was according to a statement issued by the Ministry which detailed a report of each of the schools’ readiness.Education Minister Nicolette Henry being briefed by Special Projects Officer, Ron Eastman on the ongoing works at Cummings Lodge SecondaryThe Minister’s visit comes at a time where education officials across the country are sitting at the edge of their seats, with their fingers crossed since more than 7000 teachers are expected to go on strike from today.The proposed strike is expected to start one week before the new school term begins, during schools’ pre-term activities. According to the President of the Guyana Tachers’ Union, Mark Lyte, if head teachers are going to be on strike then they need to hand over the school keys to the Department of Education before actions commence.Meanwhile, some temporary teachers are of the view that if they were to go on strike, they will be replaced by trained teachers who are waiting to get into the system. Lyte added that they could go to work and still be laid off because they are temporary.Minister Henry did say measures will be put in place if the teachers strike. Some of those measures she outlined are working a shift system in schools and having volunteers take over schools among others.However, on Friday, Lyte said he finds the Minister’s proposal hilarious.“I don’t know if the Minister understood what it took for us to have teachers. We are not replaceable. Let us see what this emergency plan is because somebody will have to conduct my orientation when the parents show up on Monday; me nor none of my teachers will be in school,” Lyte said after being assured that many of the head teachers had already handed in their keys to the Department of Education.Lyte was on Friday absent from the conciliation talks, which were organised by the Social Protection Ministry’s Department of Labour for the Union and the Education Ministry to meet and discuss a way forward.According to Lyte, he was unable to attend the meeting since he was out of the region on duty and only received an official invite on Friday morning.He indicated that he would have received yet another invitation for a meeting with the same parties, which is now expected to be held on August 28; day two into the strike action.Lyte said he is yet to confirm his attendance to that meeting.The GTU has rejected Government’s request for teachers to agree to a debunching payoff of $200 million for 2018/19. Lyte said the Union similarly rejected the $700 million cap that was placed on salary increases which was for 2018 only. Government also wants the clothing allowance to remain at $8000; a figure Lyte said was given in 2011.He said, too, that for the Whitley Council Leave, teachers still have to wait four years before getting their one month off, even though the GTU appealed for three years. The Union is seeking 40 per cent salary increases for its 7000 members.
0Shares0000Everton striker Wayne Rooney arrives at Stockport Magistrates’ Court in Stockport, north-west England on September 18, 2017STOCKPORT, United Kingdom, Sep 18- Former England captain Wayne Rooney was Monday banned from driving for two years and ordered to perform 100 hours of unpaid work after pleading guilty to drink driving.The Everton forward was stopped by police when driving a woman’s black Volkswagen Beetle at 4:00 am on September 1, while his pregnant wife and their three sons were on holiday. Rooney apologised for his “unforgivable lack of judgement” after his guilty plea at Stockport Magistrates’ Court in the northwest of England.“Following today’s court hearing I want publicly to apologise for my unforgivable lack of judgement in driving while over the legal limit. It was completely wrong,” he said in a statement.“I have already said sorry to my family, my manager and chairman and everyone at Everton FC. Now I want to apologise to all the fans and everyone else who has followed and supported me throughout my career.“Of course I accept the sentence of the court and hope that I can make some amends through my community service.”Earlier, Rooney, 31, made no comment as he was confronted by a media scrum outside the court.Wearing a blue suit with his hands in his pockets, he walked into the court building accompanied by a small entourage.He has been married to his high-school sweetheart Coleen since 2008 and they are expecting their fourth child.Everton manager Ronald Koeman said earlier this month the matter would be dealt with “internally”.Rooney was given a warm welcome at Old Trafford on his return to former club Manchester United on Sunday but it ended in disappointment with a 4-0 defeat for Everton.Rooney made a successful start to his second Everton spell following his return to the club from United, scoring on his first two Premier League appearances.His form moved England manager Gareth Southgate to offer him an international recall, but he decided to call time on his England career.Everton are currently 18th in the Premier League after three successive defeats.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)