Jamaica’s Tourism Minister to visit North America/Europe on SOE fallout

first_imgTourism Minister Edmund Bartlett is to visit North America and Europe this weekend as Jamaica moves to quell any fallout from its decision to impose a state of emergency in St. James, where the island’s tourist resort of Montego Bay is situated.Bartlett told a news conference that the authorities have already developed “a comprehensive program with our partners” from the three major markets, including the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.nsure future bookingsHe said from this weekend he would be moving to “cover those markets to meet with all our partners and to ensure future bookings, because I think that the winter (booking) is holding and that’s the message we want to have.”He said the concerns for the authorities here would be future bookings adding “we want to look to make sure that we shore up the summer and the fall because we are pushing to inch into the five million arrivals this year.”The government introduced the state of emergency last week Thursday in a bid to deal with the rising criminal activities including murder in that parish. Last year, more than 300 people were killed in St. James and the authorities have said more than 200 people including those wanted for murder have been detained under the state of emergency.Jamaica is being made saferBartlett said that Jamaica would continue its aggressive public relations campaign noting “we are out there, and we are making the point that Jamaica is being made safer”Earlier Prime Minister Andrew Holness told reporters that he is “prepared to do what it takes to address this crime problem” and warned ‘all of what we are doing is threatened by the security situation in Jamaica.”He said crime is but one aspect of the island’s security and his administration was also concerned about its ability to protect and control its borders, telecommunication and financial services among other sectors.He dismissed the notion that the state of emergency is all about dealing with the crime “in our faces, the murders, and the public disorder” adding “it is also to deal with what I like to call an eco-system of criminality at an enterprise level.last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Monday, Nov. 9, 2015

first_imgWellington Police notes for Monday, November 9, 2015:•7:04 a.m. Officers took a report of Reporting an Accident with No Proof of Insurance in the 1400 block E. 16th, Wellington.•7:23 a.m. Officers took a report of an unattended death in the 600 block N. Poplar, Wellington.•9:04 a.m. Officers took a report of a found bicycle in the 1000 block S. Washington, Wellington.•9:54 a.m. Officers took a report of found glasses in the 1000 block S. G, Wellington.•10:45 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1000 block W. College, Wellington.•1:14 p.m. Christina M. Richards, 43, Wellington was arrested and confined on a Sumner County Community Corrections arrest and detain order for probation violation.•3:20 p.m. Kimberly I. Hagar, 37, Milan, Kans. was issued a notice to appear for defective brake/signal lamps on trailer and no proof of insurance.•3:24 p.m. Officers took a report of found property in the 500 block N. C, Wellington hard drive and memory sticks.•3:35 p.m. Terry L. Craig, 56, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for defective trailer tail/brake lights.•4 p.m. Gary R. Koehn, 57, Belle Plaine, was issued a notice to appear for illegal registration, expired trailer tag and defective trailer lights.last_img read more

Education Minister assesses schools’ readiness for Sept 3 opening

first_imgThe positive minded Education Minister, Nicolette Henry, on Saturday visited a few schools around Georgetown and on the East Coast of Demerara to assess their readiness for the new school year scheduled to begin on Monday, September 3.This was according to a statement issued by the Ministry which detailed a report of each of the schools’ readiness.Education Minister Nicolette Henry being briefed by Special Projects Officer, Ron Eastman on the ongoing works at Cummings Lodge SecondaryThe Minister’s visit comes at a time where education officials across the country are sitting at the edge of their seats, with their fingers crossed since more than 7000 teachers are expected to go on strike from today.The proposed strike is expected to start one week before the new school term begins, during schools’ pre-term activities. According to the President of the Guyana Tachers’ Union, Mark Lyte, if head teachers are going to be on strike then they need to hand over the school keys to the Department of Education before actions commence.Meanwhile, some temporary teachers are of the view that if they were to go on strike, they will be replaced by trained teachers who are waiting to get into the system. Lyte added that they could go to work and still be laid off because they are temporary.Minister Henry did say measures will be put in place if the teachers strike. Some of those measures she outlined are working a shift system in schools and having volunteers take over schools among others.However, on Friday, Lyte said he finds the Minister’s proposal hilarious.“I don’t know if the Minister understood what it took for us to have teachers. We are not replaceable. Let us see what this emergency plan is because somebody will have to conduct my orientation when the parents show up on Monday; me nor none of my teachers will be in school,” Lyte said after being assured that many of the head teachers had already handed in their keys to the Department of Education.Lyte was on Friday absent from the conciliation talks, which were organised by the Social Protection Ministry’s Department of Labour for the Union and the Education Ministry to meet and discuss a way forward.According to Lyte, he was unable to attend the meeting since he was out of the region on duty and only received an official invite on Friday morning.He indicated that he would have received yet another invitation for a meeting with the same parties, which is now expected to be held on August 28; day two into the strike action.Lyte said he is yet to confirm his attendance to that meeting.The GTU has rejected Government’s request for teachers to agree to a debunching payoff of $200 million for 2018/19. Lyte said the Union similarly rejected the $700 million cap that was placed on salary increases which was for 2018 only. Government also wants the clothing allowance to remain at $8000; a figure Lyte said was given in 2011.He said, too, that for the Whitley Council Leave, teachers still have to wait four years before getting their one month off, even though the GTU appealed for three years. The Union is seeking 40 per cent salary increases for its 7000 members.last_img read more