Pellegrini to push City to the max

first_img It was at the same stage last season that City’s title-winning campaign roared into life as they embarked on a 20-game unbeaten run in all competitions, winning 18 of them. Pellegrini said: “That of course will be the best thing we can do, but I think December and this week of November are a decisive month for the Premier League. “We are going to play eight games of the Premier League, we are going to finish the first round (of fixtures) at the end of December. We have 24 more points to try to win. “We have to try to do it, I think that is the only way. I think maybe not to be top of the table, because Chelsea are in a very good moment, but I think it is important to have a good first round. That is more than 41 or 42 points.” City captain Vincent Kompany is poised to return for the visit of the Swansea after missing the trip to QPR a fortnight ago and Belgium’s recent Euro 2016 qualifier against Wales with a calf injury. There could be a temptation not to risk the influential centre-back before Tuesday’s crucial Champions League tie against Bayern Munich but Pellegrini insists that game is not yet in his thoughts. He said: “We are not thinking about Europe. We are thinking about the Premier League. “We must try to discount the points we have behind the leaders. It is very important to try to win. Press Association “After we finish the game against Swansea we are going to start thinking about Bayern Munich.” Fellow defender Eliaquim Mangala has also overcome what Pellegrini described as a “small problem” to make the squad this weekend. Swansea have won two and drawn one of their last three league games to climb into the top five and head to Manchester City on Saturday buoyed by their comeback victory over Arsenal before the international break. But boss Garry Monk insists he is not looking too far ahead and dismisses talk of a possible top-six finish. “We just focus on the next game because if you look too far ahead you lose track of what you’re doing,” Monk said. “We’re just looking at Man City and giving that 100 per cent commitment. Who knows if we can stay in the top six. “You obviously look at the tables but my focus is on attacking every game as best we can. “We want to get the best performances and hopefully that will get us enough points to stay in the top half of the table and see where that takes us. “We’re realistic and teams below us are very powerful financially, but all I care is we compete against these teams and we’re competing so far.” Swansea will be without Federico Fernandez with a calf injury preventing the Argentina central defender from marking his international team-mate Sergio Aguero. Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini believes his team need to claim close to maximum points in the remaining weeks of 2014 if they are to remain in title contention. Pellegrini sees the end of December as an important staging post in his side’s defence of their Barclays Premier League crown and he knows they can ill afford to drop many more points. City return to action after the latest international break third in the table, trailing leaders Chelsea by eight points, with 21 to their name from 11 games. last_img read more

Swimmers Set to Battle for N10m Prize Money

first_imgOlarenwaju explained that this is the first time Nigeria will be hosting such an event which will include countries like Ghana, Cote d’ Ivore, Togo, Mali, and Benue Republic.About 300 swimmers from Lagos State have indicated their interest in the championship and would be vying for honours with their counterparts from other states.Olanrewaju who is a member of the board of Lagos State Swimming Association also stated that, the foreign umpires that will officiate at the Lagos open water, will start arriving from June 1.However, Olarenwaju stated that, due to the high volume of entries and participation of some foreign athletes, “the association is seeking for more sponsorship for the championship.”He urged corporate bodies in Nigeria to join hands in promoting swimming in Nigeria as it would add value to their money.WedShare this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram All is now set for this year’s Lagos Open Water International Championship with mouthwatering N10million up for grab.According to Coordinator of the event, Mr. Olarenwaju Saheed, the event has been rescheduled for between June 4th and 5th.The change in plans was to enable foreign countries who have indicated interest to properly fine-tune their arrangements ahead of the event.last_img read more

PFF hookup with Qatar now for age-group plans

first_imgMOST READ View comments Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:11Makabayan bloc defends protesting workers, tells Año to ‘shut up’03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games01:38‘Bato’ to be ‘most effective’ CHR head? It’s for public to decide – Gascon02:07Aquino to Filipinos: Stand up vs abuses before you suffer De Lima’s ordeal01:28Ex-President Noynoy Aquino admits contracting pneumonia00:45Aquino agrees with Drilon on SEA games ‘kaldero’ spending issue Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Matteo Guidicelli had saved up for Sarah G’s ring since 2014? Ethel Booba on SEA Games cauldron: ‘Sulit kung corrupt ang panggatong’ What’s behind the display of Chinese flag in Boracay? Priority legislation in the 18th Congress The Qatar Airways deal with the PFL will be finalized this month, said Araneta, who personally sought the main sponsor for the league that has struggled to gain traction in its first three seasons.“We really have a lot of football activities coming in and I want to see that this is being implemented properly,” Araneta said. “We are not neglecting players in the age-group level. In fact, we have been revitalizing our grassroots program to find more homegrown talents in the country.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGreatest ever?SPORTSFormer PBA import Anthony Grundy passes away at 40SPORTSSan Miguel suspends Santos, Nabong, Tubid indefinitely after ‘tussle’ in practiceOn top of the national under-17 tournament, Araneta said the PFF will also hold under-16 and under-18 regional tournament for girls as part of its thrust to develop women’s football. The PFF chief hopes these tournaments will lead to improved performances in international tournaments.“We want to start the under-17 tournament next year,” he said, noting that the PFF had also begun holding a national under-15 tournament this year. The Philippine Football Federation (PFF) looks to further strengthen its age-group programs with the impending entry of global brand Qatar Airways as the sponsor of the Philippines Football League (PFL).PFF president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta announced the staging of a national under-17 tournament next year as funds initially allocated to the country’s top football league will now be redirected to more age-group tournaments.ADVERTISEMENT Duterte calls himself, Go, Cayetano ‘the brightest stars’ in PH politics Duterte officials’ paranoia is ‘singularly myopic’ LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Drilon apologizes to BCDA’s Dizon over false claim on designer of P50-M ‘kaldero’ POC ready to spend millions for SEA Games gold medalists Rice industry paralysislast_img read more