As of this week, students with morning classes in DeBartolo Hall no longer need to get their coffee fix in another building and then rush across campus. A brand new Au Bon Pain coffee cart opened in the middle of DeBartolo Hall on Monday. The coffee cart, located next to the 101 DeBartolo auditorium in DeBartolo Hall, delivers on a campaign promise Alex Coccia and Nancy Joyce made during their 2013 election bid. The stand, known as the “DeBart Coffee Cart,” is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and offers both hot beverages and pastries to students and staff on their way to and from DeBartolo classes. Student Government partnered with Notre Dame Food Services to make the coffee cart a reality, student body president Alex Coccia said. Coccia said he appreciates the support from Food Services and other University departments. “Food Services has done a tremendous job putting together the coffee cart to ensure that it runs smoothly,” Coccia said. “We cannot thank them and John Affleck Graves’ entire office enough for their service to the students.” The manager of Au Bon Pain, Christina Ryan, said she was impressed with the success of the coffee cart so far. “[Tuesday] is only the second day that the cart has been open for business, and we have already doubled the number of students served. We served 171 yesterday, which was pretty amazing,” Ryan said. “As expected, we have been going through a lot of coffee, six gallons after only a couple of hours today.” Ryan also said students have voiced their appreciation and she hopes to add to the menu in the future to best serve students. “I’ve heard a lot of good feedback from students,” Ryan said. “We’re here for the students. Maybe next fall we’ll be able to offer more.” Coccia said the “DeBart Cart” is the result of a simple idea but has the potential to help a lot of people. “In our 2013 campaign, we promised to get hot caffeine in DeBartolo Hall,” Coccia said. “We proposed something simple but that would serve the needs of students who have multiple classes a day in DeBartolo and are stressed for time between them.” Student body vice president Nancy Joyce said any future changes or expansion of the coffee cart would be based on the student response. “This semester’s coffee cart is a pilot, which will be adjusted at the end of the semester to better suit the needs of students,” Joyce said.
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter January 10, 2020 Economy, Jobs That Pay, Press Release, Workforce Development Governor Tom Wolf announced that the Greater Johnstown Career & Technology Center (GJCTC) was approved for $200,000 in funding to continue supporting Phase two of its innovative workforce teaching model, Learn Where You Will Earn, which helps students supplement classroom learning with skills obtained in a business setting.“My administration is thrilled to support the continued success of GJCTC’s efforts to bring career opportunities to students through innovative programs that allow them to obtain knowledge and skills both inside and outside of the classroom,” said Gov. Wolf. “This training offers a pathway to the required certification for employment and potential job placement for graduates and will help fill critical job openings in the skilled trades.”Funded by the Wolf Administration, GJCTC started the program in July 2018 at its satellite campus located in Mission Critical Solutions (MCS), a local business that hires welders. Since then, three 720-hour program classes have been hosted for cohorts consisting of eight students each. Phase one saw 20 students receive their American Welding Society (AWS) certifications and 16 students offered employment in the welding field.Phase two will allow for GJCTC to host three more class sessions throughout December 2021. The new funding will support equipment costs for a 15-ton strap bender with pneumatic pump for use as a teaching tool and to provide financial assistance to students and recruitment efforts.“GJCTC is excited to be included in this important initiative for our region for a second time. Phase two of Learn Where You Will Earn will allow the school to maintain a presence in Bedford County and continue to build on the successes of the past two years,” said GJCTC Supervisor of Adult Education Tricia Rummel. “The continued funding will allow GJCTC to offer training programs that will not only benefit individuals seeking to improve their skills and find employment, but the local businesses and community as a whole will also benefit.”The funding supports Governor Wolf’s commitment to enhancing the growth and competitiveness of Pennsylvania’s manufacturing industry by identifying and training a skilled workforce.Additionally, last year the Wolf Administration awarded $200,000 in Manufacturing PA Training to Career funding for the AMPED Business Education Partnership with JWF Industries and MCS. Students in the program learn advanced manufacturing processes including, CNC g-code programming, robotic welding programming, and the latest technology advancement in coordinate measuring machine instruction, and can earn a NIMS CNC Operator certification and an American Welding Society certification in MIG process, which are both nationally recognized.Governor Wolf’s Manufacturing PA initiative was launched in October 2017, and since then has funded 35 projects and invested more than $9 million through the Training-to-Career program. Training-to-Career grants support projects that result in short-term work-readiness, job placement, or the advancement of manufacturing. The Manufacturing PA Training-to-Career program works collaboratively with local manufacturers to identify and teach missing essential skills for entry level applicants seeking manufacturing employment, engage youth or those with barriers to career opportunities in manufacturing, and advance capacity for local or regional manufacturers.For more information about the Wolf Administration’s commitment to manufacturing, visit the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) website or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube. Governor Wolf: New State Funding Will Take Learning from the Classroom to the Workplace in the Johnstown Area
Holders Kilkenny go up against Dublin in all-Leinster clash at a quarter-past-five while Cork face Galway at 7pm.Meanwhile, Cork continue their quest for seven All-Ireland Senior Ladies Football titles in-a-row when they face Galway in the quarter-finals at T-E-G Cusack Park at half-twelve this lunchtime.That’s followed by the last-eight clash between Donegal and Mayo at the same venue at a quarter-past-two. Semple Stadium plays host to the Bord Gais Energy All-Ireland under-21 Hurling semis today.Kilkenny take on Derry at 4pm and it’s Limerick against Galway at 6pm.While the Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Camogie Semi-Finals are at the Gaelic Grounds.
A Donegal trawler-owner whose boat sank with the loss of his father and uncle has hit out at authorities over what he claimed was their failure to carry out a proper inquiry into the tragedy.Drowned fisherman Danny McDaidFishermen Danny McDaid, 70, and his brother Francis, 69, drowned when their boat vanished almost five years ago near Inishowen Head.The bodies of the Glengad fishermen were recovered that day, but it was four weeks before divers were sent down to check the wreckage which by then had broken up, according to Frankie McDaid. “The investigation has been a shambles from day one,” he claimed.An inquest into their deaths was due to re-open in Coleraine, Co Derry. but the hearing was called off after the senior Northern Ireland Coroner John Leckey ruled he had no power to conduct the hearing as the drownings happened outside his jurisdiction.The UK Marine Accident Investigation Board (MAIB) carried out an initial inquiry into the tragedy.But once it was discovered the boat sank in Irish territorial waters the matter was then handed over to the Dublin-based Marine Casualty Investigation Board (MCIB). At the time of the drownings, locals claimed the trawler, which was fishing for lobsters, could have been pulled down when the nets were caught by a passing vessel. There was a tanker in the area at the time.But Mr Leckey insisted there was no evidence in a report of the investigation by the MCIB that there had been any sort of collision.“All we do know is that for whatever reason the trawler sank,” he said.Frankie McDaid, 40, Francis McDaid’s son, revealed he was facing legal proceedings following the tragedy in March 2008. The trawler, Strath Marie, was insured, but the lives of the two men were not.After the hearing he said he was angry that the authorities took too long to examine the wreckage which was discovered by local fishermen and a lifeboat crew on the day the trawler went down. TRAWLER OWNER SAYS INVESTIGATION INTO FATHER AND UNCLE’S DEATHS WAS SHAMBLES was last modified: January 25th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Danny McDaiddrowningFrancis McDaidinvestigation