By Yolima Dussán/Diálogo December 08, 2020 During a joint operation, the Colombian Military Forces and the National Police neutralized on October 25, 2020, Andrés Felipe Vanegas Londoño, alias Uriel, a leader of the National Liberation Army (ELN, in Spanish) who was identified as the third commander of the western war front.“One of the most visible figures of that terrorist organization has fallen,” said Colombian President Iván Duque, who announced the payment of $130,000 that his government was offering as a reward for information leading to the criminal’s capture. “Uriel was responsible for kidnappings, murder of social leaders, persecution and harassment against citizens, and the murder of soldiers and police officers.”On October 25, the Armed Forces General Command said that Uriel had taken responsibility for the attack against the General Santander National Police Academy on January 17, 2019, where 22 agents died.“He was a criminal whose goal was to destabilize […] through acts of violence, vandalism, and terrorism, which he carried out using, in addition to weapons and lethal instruments, social networks as a communication and propaganda platform at the national and international level to advocate for crime, spread criminal activities, and challenge the Colombian State,” Colombian Minister of Defense Carlos Holmes Trujillo said.“In 2018, he began using social networks. This path led the Military Forces to place him at five locations on the Chocó coast,” said General Oscar Atehortúa, National Police director, who recognized as key the information obtained “from some students and radical groups, mainly in Bogotá, Medellín, and Pereira.” Uriel received young people from these cities and induced them to join the ELN’s urban cells.“The neutralization of this leader makes a significant contribution to reducing the forced recruitment of minors in the most vulnerable communities of Chocó, mainly indigenous populations, as he was the leader of the ELN’s Political School for Youth,” the Colombian Army indicated in a statement.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Three people—a teacher and a couple—were injured outside North Shore High School in Glen Head Friday morning by a driver who has been charged with reckless driving, Nassau County police said.The teacher, who police have yet to identify, was crossing the street near the school when the accident occurred. Police said 28-year-old Cruz Correa was driving northbound on Glen Cove Avenue just before 10 a.m. when he struck the teacher.The couple—a 66-year-old man and 65-year-old woman—was injured when Cruz’s Lexus crossed into the southbound lanes, police said, and collided with their 2007 Volkswagen Passat.Correa was airlifted by Nassau County police to Nassau University Medical Center, police said.The teacher and couple were also taken to area hospitals with varying injuries, police said.Police impounded both vehicles for brake and safety checks.The investigation is ongoing, police said.Correa will be arraigned when he’s healthy enough to do so, police said.
Share Sharing is caring! LocalNewsSports West Indies Shillingford making good progress by: – March 31, 2011 49 Views no discussions Share Tweet Share Photo credit: ESPNCricinfo.comST JOHN’S, Antigua — Off-spinner Shane Shillingford is making encouraging progress as he makes a bid to return to competitive cricket.The 28-year-old from Dominica has had several sessions under the watchful eyes of the coaches at the Sagicor High Performance Centre (HPC), after he was taken out of the game for a suspect bowling action late last year.West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) CEO Dr Ernest Hilaire gave an update on Shillingford’s progress, and said everyone has been impressed with his commitment and dedication, as he seeks to return to competitive cricket.“A lot of work has been done with him. He has been at the HPC learning a new action and a new run-up. He has been video-taped regularly, assessed, analysed and he has one more session before he can actually participate in a match. Of course, once the umpires are satisfied with what they see, we will apply at the ICC for a review for him to re-enter international cricket,” Hilaire said.Hilaire was speaking during an interview with the Antiguan media on Monday.He added, “He (Shillingford) has been very committed, very dedicated. His personal coach from Dominica has also been with him to the HPC to see the programme to go back Dominica and help him to implement the remedial work. Thomas Kentish, the former Windward Islands and Combined Islands spinner has been doing a lot of work with him and we are very happy with the kind of work Shane has put in as he tries to make a return to international cricket.”Shillingford made his international debut against South Africa last year and also toured Sri Lanka at year-end. He has played five Test matches, taking 14 wickets.“We had hoped that he would probably play this weekend [WICB First-class semi-final]. It depends on the HPC coaches telling us when they think he’s ready. We are not rushing it. We want to take our time, we want to make sure he goes through all the fundamentals before we put him back into competitive cricket,” Hilaire said.Source: Caribbean News Now