Sustainability Takes the Stage at CES

first_imgWhen we think CES, we think showy, shiny, NEW.  But tomorrow, #ces2017 is spotlighting the less flashy, often hidden side of tech innovation: sustainable design.Sustainable design is a conscious approach to creating products and packaging with the environment in mind. It’s also about what goes in, what we avoid, and how we extend the product’s workable life for use by a second, even third customer. And in the end, it’s about reuse, refurbishment and responsible recycling.In a world that produces 92 billion pounds of electronic waste annually, the impact of sustainable design is significant. For example, at Dell, we’ve recycled more than 36 million pounds of post-consumer recycled plastics from water bottles, milk jugs, and used technology back into our products.  And we ship 93 percent of our laptops in sustainably sourced packaging in our quest toward zero waste.Tomorrow, at “Sustainability Day at CES,” the green leaders take the stage.  We’ll discuss sustainability policies for the new administration and new research on the resource and waste implications of consumer electronics. The EPA will also honor the winners of their Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) Electronics Challenge, which recognizes electronics manufacturers, brands and retailers for excellence in electronics collection, recycling and design.  Dell is thrilled to be a Gold and Champion honoree for our global takeback program and our innovative use of recycled carbon fiber in select Latitude and Alienware laptops.If you’re on-site at CES tomorrow, stop by the Grand Lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center at 10am Pacific or catch the conversation online at www.CES.Tech/livestream.And you can read more about the impact of design on the e-waste challenge from Dell’s experiential design leader, Ed Boyd, on TriplePundit here.last_img read more

Elisabeth Moss Says Heidi Is Mad Men’s Peggy For the Next Generation

first_imgGoing through Mad Men withdrawal? Yep, us too. While you patiently wait for the last seven episodes, see Elisabeth Moss in The Heidi Chronicles on Broadway, beginning performances February 23 at the Music Box Theatre. In Wendy Wasserstein’s female-centric drama, a young woman blossoms into a successful art historian as she observes the world around her. Elisabeth Moss told Broadway.com she’s bringing some of Peggy’s signature strength to her new role in The Heidi Chronicles, where she’ll age over 20 years in the course of an evening. Who is Heidi? What’s this character like? I’m very interested in playing her as a modern woman, which is something that I’ve always tried to do with Peggy on Mad Men. I know that the time period is an influence on who she is, but at the same time I think that she’s just like us and has the same issues and the same problems and the same questions. So for me, I’m interested in finding out who she is in any decade. Both Peggy and Heidi are very strong women—is this almost like picking up where Peggy left off? Heidi’s a lot stronger than Peggy, and smarter. She’s more of an observer and a commentator on the events surrounding her. Whereas Peggy was immersed in everything, Heidi is a writer at heart. Wendy [Wasserstein] always picked a field that was different from writing to represent her and in this particular play, she’s an art historian. But Heidi’s obviously the Wendy character in this play. View Comments This play premiered in 1989. Why do you think The Heidi Chronicles has a place on Broadway right now? I feel like you could change a couple of the names and the events and it could easily be this year or last year. It could easily be the ’90s through 2015 instead of ’65 through ’89. It’s so incredibly relevant. It’s so modern. The issues that she is dealing with as a woman haven’t changed. Last time you were on Broadway, Mad Men had just started—this time, you’re a big TV star. How will it be different this time around? I have a lot more to do in this play. It’s a much bigger role for me than I’ve ever done on Broadway and I have a lot more lines than I’ve ever had. I don’t worry about what happens off of the stage, but I think it’s going to be a bit different experience as far as my responsibility.center_img Wendy Wasserstein sadly passed away at 55. Do you wish she were here so you could ask her questions? Absolutely. I really wish she was here so I could talk to her. But at the same time, she was such a huge part of so many people’s lives. She was so close to certain people that we do have here, that I do feel like she’s very present. I think we’re doing the play that she would’ve wanted us to do, and I don’t feel like she’s that far away. There’s so much girl power in this play. What is it like to represent this strong figure for other women and girls in the audience? I think this story is applicable to girls in their twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, sixties…I hope that her strength inspires younger girls, but I’m most interested in telling a truthful, honest story. See Elisabeth Moss in The Heidi Chronicles beginning February 23 at the Music Box Theatre.last_img read more

David Haig & Siubhan Harrison Will Rock the Boat in Guys and Dolls

first_imgDavid Haig (Yes, Prime Minister) and Siubhan Harrison (From Here To Eternity) will roll the dice in the previously reported West End revival of Guys and Dolls as Sarah Brown and Nathan Detroit, respectively. Headlined by Jamie Parker and Haig’s Four Weddings and a Funeral co-star Sophie Thompson, the classic tuner will begin previews on December 10 and play a 13-week limited engagement. Opening night is set for January 6, 2016.Rounding out the cast of gamblers, gangsters and sassy showgirls will be Lucy Jane Adcock, Abigail Brodie, Cornelius Clarke, Momar Diagne, Lavinia Fitzpatrick, Lorna Gale, Nic Greenshields, Selina Hamilton, Ian Hughes, Frankie Jenna, Jacob Maynard, Neil McCaul, Genevieve Nicole, William Oxborrow, Max Parker, Carl Patrick, James Revell, Giovanni Spano, Gavin Spokes, Jonathan Stewart, Lucie Mae Sumner and Liam Wrate.Based on a story and characters by Damon Runyon, with music and lyrics by Frank Loesser and a book by Jo Swerling and Abe Burrows, the show follows a desperate Nathan Detroit (Haig) in prohibition-era New York. He needs money for an illegal dice game, and he needs it fast. Not to mention a 14-year engagement with nightclub singer Miss Adelaide (Thompson), whose patience is finally running out. Enter notorious gambler Sky Masterson (Parker), a guy who can never turn down a bet, and straight-laced missionary Sarah Brown (Harrison), a doll with a heart of ice. Nathan’s wager is that Sky has to romance Sarah by taking her to Havana for dinner and in return he’ll provide a dozen “sinners” for Sarah’s mission. Surely this is one bet Nathan absolutely can’t lose?The Chichester Festival Theatre transfer will be directed by Gordon Greenberg, with choreography by Cuban dancer and former Royal Ballet star Carlos Acosta and Andrew Wright. View Commentslast_img read more

CEO buys ailing New Zealand media giant for one dollar

first_imgBoucher, who joined the Press as a reporter in 1993 and has spent most of her career at the company, said it was “a new era” for Stuff.”It is great to take control of our own future with the move to local ownership and the opportunity to build further on the trust of New Zealanders, who turn to us for local and national news and entertainment every day,” she told stuff.co.nz.The one-dollar price reflects the difficulties in New Zealand’s media sector, where COVID-19’s impact has slashed revenues already eroded by global internet giants such as Facebook and Google.Stuff’s main domestic rival, NZME, had its own one-dollar bid for the company rejected earlier this month. Stuff and NZME have both asked staff to take pay cuts due to the virus-induced downturn, with NZME cutting 200 jobs.German magazine giant Bauer Media Group closed its New Zealand titles with the loss of 237 jobs last month, citing the “severe economic impact” of the pandemic.Shares in Nine, which had been rumoured to be keen on offloading its New Zealand assets for more than a year, were up 2.9 percent at Aus$1.41 in early trading on the ASX.Nine obtained Stuff when it acquired the company’s Australian owner, newspaper group Fairfax Media in late 2018.Topics : Struggling New Zealand media giant Stuff Limited was sold in a management buy-out deal for the symbolic fee of NZ$1.00 (US$0.61), the group’s Australian owners Nine Entertainment announced Monday.Nine said that Stuff chief executive Sinead Boucher would take over the company, which operates New Zealand’s most popular news website, stuff.co.nz, and titles such as Wellington’s Dominion Post and the Christchurch Press.”The sale of Stuff is expected to (be) complete by May 31,” Nine said in a statement to the Australian stock exchange.last_img read more

Arsenal reject Saint-Etienne’s loan proposal in William Saliba transfer

first_imgArsenal reject Saint-Etienne’s loan proposal in William Saliba transfer Metro Sport ReporterThursday 6 Jun 2019 8:38 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.1kShares Comment Manchester United and City have scouted Saliba (Picture: Getty)Arsenal have told Saint-Etienne they will not agree to loan William Saliba immediately back to the club, reports say.Saint-Etienne are prepared to sell Saliba this summer, who is rated as one of the brightest prospects in France.The 18-year-old is being courted by a host of clubs including Manchester United and Watford, but Arsenal were believed to be leading the race for the defender.But the Sun now claim Arsenal’s chances of sealing the £25million transfer have taken a hit after they rejected Saint-Etienne’s loan proposal.ADVERTISEMENT Saint-Etienne expect to collect £25m for Saliba (Picture: Getty)Arsenal remain in talks with Saint-Etienne and are hopeful they can still strike a deal, despite taking the risk of refusing the French side’s loan demand.Emery is a big fan of Saliba, who continually impressed the Arsenal scouts last season.With Saint-Etienne’s key demand now shot down by Arsenal, Emery is concerned they could lose Saliba to Manchester City.The Premier League champions are believed to have no issue with splashing out £25m on the defender and sending him straight back to France.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movescenter_img Saint-Etienne want to have Saliba on loan next season (Picture: Getty)The feeling at Arsenal is they cannot wait another season for defensive reinforcements, especially when Saint-Etienne are demanding such a high fee for Saliba.AdvertisementAdvertisementUnai Emery’s transfer budget this summer is just £45m, but the Arsenal boss is still targeting a busy window.Emery is prepared to offload the likes of Mesut Ozil in a bid to raise further funds for signings.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Tekmar Scores Doppelpack

first_imgTekmar Energy has won multiple contracts by Van Oord to supply its Cable Protection Systems (CPS) for the Deutsche Bucht offshore wind farm and the BorWin3 grid connection system in the German North Sea.Tekmar will supply its CPS to protect the 35 inter-array cables planned for Deutsche Bucht, which will be tailored for the project to cater for all different cable sizes applied and a respective interface to the monopile foundations, according to the company.The company said it will also provide its system to protect the three export cables between the Hohe See offshore wind farm and BorWin gamma, BorWin3’s corresponding offshore converter platform, in addition to supplying the CPS to protect the 79 inter-array cables on Hohe See, as part of a separate contract.The contracts mark the fifth and sixth project that Tekmar has worked on with Van Oord, the company said, adding that they also mark the 61st and 62nd named projects working within the offshore wind industry.Located in the German North Sea, the 252MW Deutsche Buch offshore wind farm comprises 31 MHI Vestas V164-8.0MW wind turbines optimized to deliver an output of 8.4MW. The project is scheduled for full commissioning in late 2019.The 900MW BorWin3 grid connection system will link several wind farms off the coast of Lower Saxony in Germany to the mainland, including the Hohe See offshore wind farm. The 155kV alternating current supplied by the wind farms will be transformed into 320kV direct current on BorWin gamma.The link will transport power via a cable over 130km at sea and further 30km on land to the grid feed-in point in Emden. The direct current will then be converted back into alternating current for further transmission and distribution.The entire project is due for completion in 2019.last_img read more

West Indies Shillingford making good progress

first_img Share Sharing is caring! LocalNewsSports West Indies Shillingford making good progress by: – March 31, 2011 49 Views   no discussions Sharecenter_img Tweet Share Photo credit: ESPNCricinfo.comST JOHN’S, Antigua — Off-spinner Shane Shillingford is making encouraging progress as he makes a bid to return to competitive cricket.The 28-year-old from Dominica has had several sessions under the watchful eyes of the coaches at the Sagicor High Performance Centre (HPC), after he was taken out of the game for a suspect bowling action late last year.West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) CEO Dr Ernest Hilaire gave an update on Shillingford’s progress, and said everyone has been impressed with his commitment and dedication, as he seeks to return to competitive cricket.“A lot of work has been done with him. He has been at the HPC learning a new action and a new run-up. He has been video-taped regularly, assessed, analysed and he has one more session before he can actually participate in a match. Of course, once the umpires are satisfied with what they see, we will apply at the ICC for a review for him to re-enter international cricket,” Hilaire said.Hilaire was speaking during an interview with the Antiguan media on Monday.He added, “He (Shillingford) has been very committed, very dedicated. His personal coach from Dominica has also been with him to the HPC to see the programme to go back Dominica and help him to implement the remedial work. Thomas Kentish, the former Windward Islands and Combined Islands spinner has been doing a lot of work with him and we are very happy with the kind of work Shane has put in as he tries to make a return to international cricket.”Shillingford made his international debut against South Africa last year and also toured Sri Lanka at year-end. He has played five Test matches, taking 14 wickets.“We had hoped that he would probably play this weekend [WICB First-class semi-final]. It depends on the HPC coaches telling us when they think he’s ready. We are not rushing it. We want to take our time, we want to make sure he goes through all the fundamentals before we put him back into competitive cricket,” Hilaire said.Source: Caribbean News Nowlast_img read more

Mrs. Frances Mae (Alexander) Neubert

first_imgMrs. Frances Mae (Alexander) Neubert, age 81, of Vevay, Indiana, entered this life on August 11, 1936, in Estill County, Kentucky, the loving daughter of the late, Edgar Clifton and Merica (Wood) Alexander. She was raised in Hooven, Ohio and was a 1954 graduate of the Taylor High School in Cleves, Ohio. Frances was united in marriage on April 30, 1988, in Harrison, Ohio, to William Robert “Bill” Neubert, Jr. and they shared 30 years of marriage together until her death. Frances began modeling at the age of 55 and was a former secretary for a doctor’s office in California. She owned and operated Creations by Frances in Cincinnati, Ohio. Frances was a member of the Spring Branch Baptist Church where she was a deaconess. She resided in the Vevay community since 1998. Frances enjoyed crafts and was a Godly woman. Her greatest joy in life was being a devoted wife, loving mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Frances passed away at 2:55 p.m., Saturday, May 5, 2018, at the Our Hospice of South Central Indiana in Columbus, Indiana.Frances will be deeply missed by her husband, William Robert “Bill” Neubert, Jr. of Vevay, IN; her daughter, Holly Marcum and her husband: David of Cincinnati, OH; her son, Jeffrey Clifton Hartzell and his wife: Suzanne of Rogersville, AL; her grandchildren, Jacob Kendrick, Christopher Hartzell, Matthew Hartzell, Jessica Marcum, Jon Senile, Nathan Marcum and Aimee Barton; her great-grandchildren, Dylan Michael Marcum and Aislynn Grace Marcum; her several nieces and nephews and her dog, Lucy.She was preceded in death by her parents, Edgar Clifton and Merica (Wood) Alexander; her son, Russell John “Rusty” Hartzell, died April 8, 1999; her brothers, Elmer Alexander, Russell Clifton Alexander and John Tracey Alexander and her sister, Lillian B. (Alexander) Race.Funeral services will be conducted Wednesday, May 9, 2018, at 1:00 p.m., by Rev. Rick Daugherty and Pastor Dave Taylor at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043. Interment will follow in the Vevay Cemetery, Vevay, Indiana. Friends may call 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Wednesday, May 9, 2018, at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043. Memorial contributions may be made to Spring Branch Baptist Church. Cards are available at the funeral home.last_img read more

UPDATE: Shooting in Harrison overnight

first_imgOriginal Story—Police are investigating a shooting in Harrison where one person has reportedly died.Officers were dispatched to the scene of a shooting on Winding Way Drive at around 8 pm for an accidental shooting involving a teenager. The Hamilton County coroner was at the scene.It has been reported that 3 juveniles were taken into the police department, but were not specific about their involvement.  Will will keep you updated as information becomes available. Harrison, OH—UPDATE—A 15-year-old boy is dead and a 16-year-old boy has been charged with reckless homicide after a shooting in Harrison on Wednesday, police said.Information from the investigation alleges the juveniles were home alone when they found a loaded firearm. Police said the firearm was mishandled by the teenager and one round was fired, striking the 15-year-old victim. Police said three other juveniles were found at the residence at the time of the shooting.A 16-year-old has been charged with reckless homicide. That teen is at the Hamilton County Juvenile Detention Center.Police say no adults were home at the time of the shooting.last_img read more

Man arrested on allegations of robbery and multiple drug charges

first_imgGreensburg, IN—Last Saturday, Greensburg Police Officers were dispatched to the area of North Michigan and West Walnut Streets for an alleged robbery that had occurred. When officers arrived on the scene and began speaking with the victim, he stated that he was robbed of money by another male.Officers then began investigating the allegations that were made.A short time later during the investigation officers located the suspect, who was identified as Ellis Martinez, 48, of Greensburg, and took him into custody. Martinez was transported to the Decatur County Jail and charged on allegations of Robbery, Dealing in Methamphetamine, Possession of Methamphetamine, Possession of a Syringe, and Battery.last_img