Receive email alerts Another journalist murdered in Haiti Violence against the press in Haiti: RSF and CPJ write to Minister of Justice Follow the news on Haïti November 9, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Former rebels falsely accuse journalist of involvement in murder plot to go further Journalist shot dead amid anti-government protests in Haiti RSF_en HaïtiAmericas HaïtiAmericas News News October 11, 2019 Find out more November 14, 2019 Find out more Help by sharing this information News Organisation Reporters Without Borders voices alarm about false allegations by National Resistance Front leader Winter Etienne that journalist Nancy Roc of Radio Métropole was involved in a murder plot. These claims made on the air by an armed group pose a threat to Roc’s safety, the organisation says. News Claims by a former rebel group based in the northern city of Gonaïves linking radio journalist Nancy Roc to the murder of its leader last year were “irresponsible and gratuitous” and posed a threat to her safety, Reporters Without Borders said today.”It is very disturbing that the leader of an armed group, Winter Etienne, the spokesman of the National Resistance Front (FRN), has made baseless allegations associating a journalist’s name with a plot and a murder, the organisation said.”Reporters Without Borders welcomes the Haitian government’s rapid response in according Nancy Roc protection and asks that it be maintained for as long as necessary,” the statement added. Roc presents a programme on Radio Métropole called “Metropolis.”Comments by Etienne on Radio Vision 2000 and Caraïbes FM on 6 November suggested that Roc was involved in a plot leading to the murder in September 2003 of Amyot Métayer, the leader of the Cannibal Army (as the FRN was then called). He also suggested that Roc was linked to a recent supposed attempt to kill Amyot Métayer’s brother, Butter.Reached by Reporters Without Borders, Roc said she went to Gonaïves to do a report on relief work aid there since the disastrous flooding caused by Tropical Storm Jeanne in September, and on the impact of local corruption on the distribution of humanitarian aid. She said she contacted Etienne, now in charge of the city’s port, and set up two appointments, but each time he failed to turn up.During an interview with President Boniface Alexandre on Radio Métropole on 30 October, Roc also reported that Etienne had said he never belonged to the Cannibal Army.After Etienne made his allegations against her, Roc received a call from the government offering support and she currently has police protection 24 hours a day. Despite Etienne’s allegations, her report on Gonaïves was broadcast as planned on 6 November. June 11, 2019 Find out more
Warburtons is on the hunt for Britain’s best picnic area, as part of its National Bread Week celebrations from 4-10 May.Consumers are being encouraged to join in by voting for their favourite picnic spot on the website www.welovebread.co.uk and all those who vote stand a chance of winning a year’s supply of bread. In addition, people can upload images of their own picnics and take part in an interactive sandwich game.Warburtons is also offering consumers a chance to win £1,000 daily during National Bread Week by way of an on-pack promotion. The promotion will run across Warburtons’ top-selling lines: the 800g Toastie Loaf, 800g Medium and 800g Farmhouse loaves.To enter, consumers enter a product code from the packaging on the website for the chance of winning a prize.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A man and woman from Manorville were shot to death in Bay Shore on Friday night, Suffolk County police said.David Arzu, 29, and 28-year-old Janelle Curella were walking on Center Avenue when they were shot near the corner of Oak Street at 9:25 p.m., police said.The two were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, where they were pronounced dead.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information on the shooting to call them at 631-852-6392 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-200-TIPS.
Liverpool can still wrap up the Premier League title this week despite a 0-0 setback against Everton on Sunday, but they need other results to help them.Jurgen Klopp’s red men need just five points to secure their first league title since 1990, having built a 25-point lead ahead of Manchester City before the coronavirus-enforced suspension. Should City fail to beat Burnley on Monday, a win at their Anfield home against Crystal Palace on Wednesday would confirm Liverpool’s status as England’s new Premier League kings.Pep Guardiola’s side also travels to fourth-placed Chelsea on Thursday and any dropped points at Stamford Bridge could also hand Liverpool the title.Defender Trent Alexander-Arnold says the long break has been “frustrating” but he remains upbeat that the reigning European champions will eventually receive their much-anticipated reward.“If you can imagine your ultimate dream and be so, so close to it – two steps away from it really – and someone saying, ‘you need to wait over 100 days then you might get it’. It was quite frustrating,” said Alexander-Arnold.“But the league position hasn’t changed, our mentality hasn’t changed and that is to win every game, push boundaries, break records, win the league and be remembered.” At the bottom of the table, it is much tighter with West Ham United sitting equal to 18th-placed Bournemouth’s 27 points on the edge of the relegation zone.The Hammers were beaten 2-0 by Wolverhampton Wanderers in their restart fixture on Saturday and French defender, Issa Diop, says they are feeling pressured ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Tottenham Hotspur.“We have to find a level and win games quickly,” Drop said.“I think it’s easy to say but it’s hard to do it, but we have to do it and we’re going to give everything to do it.“I hope we’re going to do it in the next game. We have no choice.” Brighton travel to third-placed Leicester in Tuesday’s other game full of confidence after a last gasp 2-1 win over Arsenal helped them earn a five-point gap from the drop zone.“It feels amazing, a big three points for us,” said Brighton boss, Graham Potter.“We know where we are at, we know the margins are small in the Premier League and you have to turn them in your favour and that’s what we have tried to do.“Regardless of the table, we have to keep fighting.”RelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel On Wednesday, Manchester United and Nuno Espirito Santo’s Wolves are neck and neck in a battle for a Champions League spot, which could be the fifth-place if Manchester City’s two-year UEFA ban is upheld.United and Wolves both have 46 points in fifth and sixth as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side host Sheffield United while Wolves are visited by Bournemouth.Solskjaer’s attacking options have been boosted by the return of French midfielder Paul Pogba, who played well alongside Portuguese January signing Bruno Fernandes on Friday against Spurs.“We’re a club that wants the best players in the world playing together,” said Solskjaer after the 1-1 draw.“I think Paul showed he can play with Bruno.“Paul got a penalty for us and Bruno scored the goal.”In Wednesday’s other matches, Aston Villa travels to Newcastle United and bottom club Norwich City host Everton.Then, on Thursday before City play Chelsea, Arsenal visit Southampton and Burnley face Watford.dpa/NAN.Tags: Burnley FCChelsea FCEnglish Premier LeagueEPL titleLiverpoolManchester City
A Texas high school principal is at the center of a nationwide controversy after implementing a dress code for parents.Carlotta Outley Brown, of James Madison High School, has become the center of this heated debate.The dress code was established after a mother was attempting to enroll her child but was asked to leave due to her attire.Joselyn Lewis was reportedly wearing a headscarf and a T-shirt dress, according to reports.Following the incident, Brown sent a letter to parents warning them that they would not be allowed to drop off or pick up their kids if they were not dressed appropriately.“We are preparing your child for a prosperous future,” Brown wrote. “We want them to know what is appropriate and what is not appropriate.”Brown says she stands by her decision with the support of some parents who say the “guidelines were necessary to maintain a dignified atmosphere.”However, others have taken issue with the dress code citing that it is discriminatory and ties into deeper rooted issues such as class, gender, and race.The new dress code bans attire including pajamas, hair rollers, leggings or certain other items of clothing.Additionally, it bans men from wearing undershirts, parents wearing sagging pants or shorts, revealing tops, torn jeans “showing lots of skin,” and “dresses that are up to your behind.”