1 person fatally shot in Portland as pro-Trump supporters clash with counterprotesters

first_imgNathan Howard/Getty ImagesBY: MORGAN WINSOR, ABC NEWS    (PORTLAND) — One person was shot and killed in downtown Portland on Saturday night, as protests in Oregon’s largest city entered their fourth month.Portland police officers located the individual with a gunshot wound to the chest, after hearing gunfire in the area of Southeast 3rd Avenue and Southwest Alder Street at 8:46 p.m. local time. Medics responded and pronounced the victim dead at the scene, according to a press release from the Portland Police Department.A homicide investigation is underway. No suspect information is being released at this time, police said.Anyone who was a witness, has video or has information about the incident is urged to contact the Portland Police Department.“It is still early in this investigation, and I ask everyone to give the detectives time to do their important work before drawing conclusions about what took place,” Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell said in a statement early Sunday. “If anyone can provide information about this case, I ask them to please reach out to our detectives. This violence is completely unacceptable and we are working diligently to find and apprehend the individual or individuals responsible.”The deadly shooting occurred as dueling demonstrations took place throughout downtown Portland. A car rally in support of President Donald Trump had gathered earlier that evening and held a massive procession that was ultimately met by counterprotesters supporting the Black Lives Matter movement. Portland ABC affiliate reported seeing clashes between the two groups on the streets.Investigators have not said whether the shooting was connected to the demonstrations or clashes.According to a separate press release from the Portland Police Department, there were “hundreds of vehicles” that participated in Saturday’s rally and a “significant number” drove into downtown as part of the procession. People in the cars “periodically exchanged words” with pedestrians and, at times, fights broke out. There were also some minor collisions, police said.“Portland Police responded to scenes of fights, disturbances and collisions throughout downtown and made some arrests,” police said in a statement early Sunday.The caravan of vehicles left the downtown area by about 8:30 p.m. local time, according to police. Over the next two hours, groups of people moved through downtown streets and there was “sporadic fighting and vandalism,” police said. The crowds slowly began to dissipate around midnight.Police arrested 10 people overnight, mostly for disorderly conduct.Black Lives Matter protests erupted in Portland and other cities across the United States following the May 25 death of George Floyd, an unarmed 46-year-old Black man who died in Minneapolis after a white police officer was filmed kneeling on his neck as three other officers watched. The protesters are calling for an end to police brutality and racial injustice.In a speech at the Republican National Convention on Thursday, Trump invoked Portland as a “Democrat-run” city plagued by “rioting, looting, arson, and violence.”Trump took to Twitter early Sunday to comment on the latest violence in Portland, calling the city’s mayor “incompetent” and “a fool.” While retweeting a video that purportedly shows Trump supporters in their cars firing paintballs and pepper spray at counterprotesters on the street, the president remarked that the “big backlash going on in Portland cannot be unexpected.”“The people of Portland won’t put up with no safety any longer,” he tweeted. “Bring in the National Guard!”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Tekmar Scores Doppelpack

first_imgTekmar Energy has won multiple contracts by Van Oord to supply its Cable Protection Systems (CPS) for the Deutsche Bucht offshore wind farm and the BorWin3 grid connection system in the German North Sea.Tekmar will supply its CPS to protect the 35 inter-array cables planned for Deutsche Bucht, which will be tailored for the project to cater for all different cable sizes applied and a respective interface to the monopile foundations, according to the company.The company said it will also provide its system to protect the three export cables between the Hohe See offshore wind farm and BorWin gamma, BorWin3’s corresponding offshore converter platform, in addition to supplying the CPS to protect the 79 inter-array cables on Hohe See, as part of a separate contract.The contracts mark the fifth and sixth project that Tekmar has worked on with Van Oord, the company said, adding that they also mark the 61st and 62nd named projects working within the offshore wind industry.Located in the German North Sea, the 252MW Deutsche Buch offshore wind farm comprises 31 MHI Vestas V164-8.0MW wind turbines optimized to deliver an output of 8.4MW. The project is scheduled for full commissioning in late 2019.The 900MW BorWin3 grid connection system will link several wind farms off the coast of Lower Saxony in Germany to the mainland, including the Hohe See offshore wind farm. The 155kV alternating current supplied by the wind farms will be transformed into 320kV direct current on BorWin gamma.The link will transport power via a cable over 130km at sea and further 30km on land to the grid feed-in point in Emden. The direct current will then be converted back into alternating current for further transmission and distribution.The entire project is due for completion in 2019.last_img read more

Jamaica’s Tourism Minister to visit North America/Europe on SOE fallout

first_imgTourism Minister Edmund Bartlett is to visit North America and Europe this weekend as Jamaica moves to quell any fallout from its decision to impose a state of emergency in St. James, where the island’s tourist resort of Montego Bay is situated.Bartlett told a news conference that the authorities have already developed “a comprehensive program with our partners” from the three major markets, including the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.nsure future bookingsHe said from this weekend he would be moving to “cover those markets to meet with all our partners and to ensure future bookings, because I think that the winter (booking) is holding and that’s the message we want to have.”He said the concerns for the authorities here would be future bookings adding “we want to look to make sure that we shore up the summer and the fall because we are pushing to inch into the five million arrivals this year.”The government introduced the state of emergency last week Thursday in a bid to deal with the rising criminal activities including murder in that parish. Last year, more than 300 people were killed in St. James and the authorities have said more than 200 people including those wanted for murder have been detained under the state of emergency.Jamaica is being made saferBartlett said that Jamaica would continue its aggressive public relations campaign noting “we are out there, and we are making the point that Jamaica is being made safer”Earlier Prime Minister Andrew Holness told reporters that he is “prepared to do what it takes to address this crime problem” and warned ‘all of what we are doing is threatened by the security situation in Jamaica.”He said crime is but one aspect of the island’s security and his administration was also concerned about its ability to protect and control its borders, telecommunication and financial services among other sectors.He dismissed the notion that the state of emergency is all about dealing with the crime “in our faces, the murders, and the public disorder” adding “it is also to deal with what I like to call an eco-system of criminality at an enterprise level.last_img read more