The Grateful Dead have shared a previously unreleased live recording of “Standing on the Corner” from the band’s July 29th, 1966 concert at the P.N.E. Garden Auditorium in Vancouver. The show marked their first official concert outside of California, and one of the few known times this song was played live. This recording will be included in the upcoming 50th-anniversary edition of the Grateful Dead’s self-titled 1967 debut LP.“Their only other appearance outside of their home state prior to this was in January 1966 in Portland at an Acid Test, but this was their first billing, as part of the Vancouver Trips Festival,” Grateful Dead archivist David Lemieux explained to Rolling Stone. “Featuring a remarkable original song, ‘Standing on the Corner,’ in one of only a handful of known live appearances, with this one being the last.” Listen to the track below:The deluxe edition of the Grateful Dead’s debut album will be released on January 20th as a 2-CD set or vinyl picture disc, limited to 10,000 copies. The recordings include the Vancouver Trips in addition to David Glasser’s remastered version of The Grateful Dead from the original tapes. More information can be found here.[via Rolling Stone]
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Three people—a teacher and a couple—were injured outside North Shore High School in Glen Head Friday morning by a driver who has been charged with reckless driving, Nassau County police said.The teacher, who police have yet to identify, was crossing the street near the school when the accident occurred. Police said 28-year-old Cruz Correa was driving northbound on Glen Cove Avenue just before 10 a.m. when he struck the teacher.The couple—a 66-year-old man and 65-year-old woman—was injured when Cruz’s Lexus crossed into the southbound lanes, police said, and collided with their 2007 Volkswagen Passat.Correa was airlifted by Nassau County police to Nassau University Medical Center, police said.The teacher and couple were also taken to area hospitals with varying injuries, police said.Police impounded both vehicles for brake and safety checks.The investigation is ongoing, police said.Correa will be arraigned when he’s healthy enough to do so, police said.
Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion Mary Carol Hart’s March 20 letter [“Glove Theatre should avoid Proctors’ path”] offers an opportunity for fact checking and response. Proctors is proud to continue to have shops open to the public all week on the main floor. Once there was a small lunch deli, but that was replaced by the larger Apostrophe Cafe, which is open 70 hours a week. Hermie’s Music anchors the arcade’s Stratton Plaza entrance and we have two iterations of the Gift Centre at Proctors, both run by a loyal group of volunteers, as has been the case for 30 years. There are also lobby entrances for Key Hall at Proctors and the Parker Inn, as well the snack bar, which is open for Main Stage performances. Regarding our State Street marquee, it’s not original to 1926, but was installed in 1983 to replicate the original, replacing an outdated and deteriorated Art Deco marquee from the 1940s. It was repaired and repainted in 2014, and the signboards were updated to digital displays. But we did not change the marquee in any other way. As to the GE Theatre, it’s described in the industry as a “black box,” and is intended to be quite different than the lush Main Stage. It’s designed for different kinds of uses and programs, including moving the seating to have a large flat-floor for events. Finally, we, too, wish the Glove Theatre nothing but success for its marquee and continuing operations.Philip Morris SchenectadyThe writer is CEO of Proctors, Capital Repertory Theatre and Universal Preservation Hall.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationSchenectady NAACP calls for school layoff freeze, reinstatement of positionsFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Motorcyclist injured in Thursday afternoon Schenectady crashEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motorists
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana. ABS-CBN NEWS MANILA – The Department of National Defense (DND) hopes to be exempted from President Rodrigo Duterte’s directive rejecting grants and loans from those countries backing a UN resolution, led by Iceland, seeking a comprehensive report on the Philippines’ drug war. Lorenzana, however, was not able to immediately identify which of the 18 countries, who backed the probe against Duterte’s war on drugs, have pending grants or loans for the AFP mode. “At the outset, we assure the nation and its citizenry that this directive will not have a negative and significant impact on the country,” Panelo said. “The policy would not affect existing loans or grants which are already being implemented.” The UNHRC adopted the Iceland resolution last July for an international investigation into the spate of killings and human rights violations in the country due to President Duterte’s “war on drugs.” On Monday, Malacañang confirmed the existence of the document containing the presidential directive to shun aid from countries backing the probe. Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said he might ask Duterte to exclude them from the rejection of the loans as it could possibly affect the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ (AFP) modernization program. “All proposed engagements with the said countries, except for France, are technical assistance grants, thus it would “not significantly affect the infrastructure program of the government,” he added. Eighteen countries have voted for the approval of the resolution during the 41st session of UNHRC in Geneva while the other 14 opposed it and the remaining 15 countries abstained. A memorandum on signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea on Aug. 27 ordered “all agencies, state companies and government financial institutions should suspend negotiations or agreements pending the assessment of our relations with these countries.” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo, however, said this directive will not affect the country’s economy. “Maaapektuhan ‘yan. ‘Yung loans siguro magkakaroon ng konting kwan kami diyan. We might ask for exemption,” Lorenzana said. The countries who voted to adopt the resolution were Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Fiji, Iceland, Italy, Mexico, Peru, Slovakia, Spain, Ukraine, the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and Uruguay./PN
“Suicide Blitz” runs Thursdays. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or email Danny at [email protected] With No. 18 USC just two days away from hosting Washington at the Coliseum, Huskies coaches haven’t had many qualms about being the least bit frank when speaking with the media.First, coach Steve Sarkisian told reporters during Monday’s press conference he would rather have junior quarterback Matt Barkley on his NFL team than Stanford signal caller Andrew Luck, the consensus No. 1 overall pick in next April’s NFL draft.But it was defensive coordinator Nick Holt who provided the more incendiary comment.“We’ll be okay against these guys,” Holt said of the Trojans. “I’d rather play USC than Oregon, quite honestly.”At first glance, it really isn’t all that big of a deal. He’d rather play USC than Oregon? Who wouldn’t? Oregon sports a better, faster offense and has lost only to No. 1 LSU this season after falling to Auburn in the BCS National Championship game last year.It’s not the boldest assertion for Holt to say he’d like to avoid the Ducks. But it’s the first part of the quote that should anger USC more. Within that seemingly innocent comment, Holt is hinting he holds a secret to stopping USC’s offense.Holt’s history with USC is extensive. He was the team’s linebacker coach from 2001 to 2003 and the defensive coordinator from 2006 to 2008 before heading to Washington with Sarkisian for the 2009 season. USC coach Lane Kiffin was with USC for some of that time, too, so Holt might know some of his tendencies.What’s more, Washington has defeated USC each of the last two years, so Holt should come in with some level of confidence. But there are some problems with that.As few will forget, Barkley did not play in 2009. Last year, it wasn’t Washington’s defense that won the game, as it surrendered 31 points. If not for a masterful 10-play, 62-yard drive led by quarterback Jake Locker with 2:34 left in the fourth quarter — which included a clutch 18-yard pass on 4th-and-10 — to give Washington a game-winning field goal, the Huskies would have lost.Holt has more of a problem on his hands than he realizes. The duo of Barkley and sophomore wide receiver Robert Woods has been nearly unstoppable this season, and proves a tough attack to prepare for. Sure, Holt might decide the best course of action is to double cover Woods on most plays. But then there’s freshman wide receiver Marqise Lee, nearly as talented as Woods, on the other side of the field.Just because USC doesn’t run a high-tempo spread offense with speed at pretty much every position doesn’t mean there aren’t complications in trying to stop its attack.Then again, maybe Holt was just blowing smoke. Maybe he doesn’t really put any stock into what he said. Maybe he’s taking this game just as seriously as he took the game against Oregon. Maybe it’s all a plan to rile up the Trojans, much like Sarkisian’s comments about Barkley and Luck appeared to be.It’s doubtful anyone at USC needs more motivation to win this game. Sure, the bowl stakes are negligible. But since Sarkisian and Holt defected to Washington, they haven’t felt the sting of losing to USC.Barkley will show up, even though he doesn’t get another shot to beat Locker. Woods and Lee will show up. Junior and senior tailbacks Curtis McNeal and Marc Tyler will show up. The whole team is going to be focused on winning this game.Washington’s defense might not be winded every play after dealing with the quick legs of Oregon’s LaMichael James, Kenjon Barner and De’Anthony Thomas. It might not have to deal with triple options, sweeps and nonsensical audible cards on the sideline.But if USC has anything to say about it, Saturday’s game will be just as tough on the Huskies’ defense as last week’s was. Holt’s comments might have been about 60 game minutes premature.